Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sage and Brown Butter Portobellos over Polenta


Developing cooking skills has done so many lovely things for me. I'm more cognizant of flavors and textures. I can show restraint (or not) in the seasonings and amounts I use. And I've grown to adore foods that formally made me retch.

Portobellos here were definitely my gateway mushroom. They're not quite so slimy as some mushrooms to be, and seasonings cling to them beautifully.

I wanted to do a vegetarian dish that was also warm and hearty. I'd bought the portobellos to put on kebabs the night before, but they didn't make the cut, so I put them front and center in last night's dinner.

To start with, I melted butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.



Once the solids in the butter shifted from golden to brown, I tossed in a handful of chopped sage.


After about thirty seconds, I added the sliced mushrooms.

That mushroom in focus...he seems like a fun guy.
I lowered the heat slightly and sauteed the mushrooms for a couple of minutes, stirring them occasionally to coat, and then added in the Marsala.

Once the mixture came to a simmer, I added the cream and salt and pepper (to taste). I cooked the mixture for a couple of minutes as it reduced a bit.



I then set the heat to low to keep the sauce warm as I made the polenta.

First I brought the milk, water, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Then I slowly poured the cornmeal into the pan and stirred to combine well. I cooked it about twelve minutes until it was sufficiently thick.

Then I removed the pan from heat and stirred in butter and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. (Oof. So good.)


I then portioned out the polenta into shallow bowls and ladled the mushroom sauce atop. Oh, man. Somewhat rich but amazing and satisfying.


Sage and Brown Butter Portobellos over Polenta
(adapted from The View from the Great Island)
Serves 3 - 4.

1 stick butter
1 handful of chopped fresh sage
8 oz. sliced portobellos
1/3 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt
Pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or regular Parmesan, if you're not as into breaking the bank as I am)
2 tablespoons butter

No comments:

Post a Comment