Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Roasted Curried Cauliflower


One of my favorite strengths that I've developed through cooking is the ability to take taste into my own hands.

I hoped through my seasonal project that I could find occasion to take ingredients that once made me cringe or retch (I did once unforgivably ask my mom "What stinks?" Sorry, Mom!) and turn them into mouthwatering final products.

Part of my palate expansion can be attributed to maturity, sure, but I also have to thank the varied techniques and flavors of which I've learned. I can now take an item down many avenues before I find the best route. Cars! Maps! This is a metaphor!

My original plan was to use this as a side dish to Chicken Tikka Masala (one of the first dishes I cooked with my boyfriend!) but time and exhaustion took over and I ended up making the cauliflower as a light supper when I got home from my second job this evening.

No regrets!




To bring out the best flavor, I toasted coriander and brown mustard seeds.

Then I ground them up into the curry vinaigrette and drizzled it over the florets.








Roasted Curried Cauliflower.
Serves 2 - 3 as side.

1 head cauliflower, chopped into uniform florets
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon brown mustard seed
1 sprig cilantro (for garnish)

1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Spread florets onto a rimmed baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, curry powder, cumin, and salt.
4. Heat a small skillet up to medium-high. Add coriander and brown mustard seeds and toast till aromatic (about 4 - 5 minutes.)
5. Grind up seeds and add to vinaigrette. Whisk to combine.
6. Drizzle vinaigrette over florets.
7. Bake for 35  minutes, turning the cauliflower over halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment