Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Roasted Garlic Potato Soup






Tonight was definitely a soup night--due to slight physical illness and an urge to use a couple of my Christmas presents. I cobbled together a few ingredients from around my kitchen and came up with a mouthwatering concoction.

First  things first, I preheated the oven to 400 degrees. Then I chopped the top third off my head of garlic and wrapped it in foil, then drizzled olive oil down into the wrapping.





Then I spread the onion wedges out on a baking sheets and seasoned them with basil, thyme, and rosemary. I tucked the foiled garlic onto the sheet and roasted the lot for 30 minutes.

The view into the oven
 I put the potatoes in my Dutch oven (one of my lovely Christmas presents!) and covered them with water. I added the vegetable bouillon cubes and brought the water to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Around this time, I removed the garlic and onions from the oven and allowed them to cool. Once the potatoes had boiled for around ten minutes, I squeezed the roasted garlic out of the peel and stirred in the onion wedges.

Then! I took my wonderful immersion blender (another Christmas present!) and blended the soup, until most but not all of the potatoes were mashed. If you don't have an immersion blender, pour half your soup into a food processor or blender, mix it, and then add it back into the main pot.

I added the heavy cream and sour cream let the mixture cook through for another five minutes, then took it off heat. I ladled the soup into a bowl, sprinkled it with dill weed, salt, and pepper and topped it with a dollop of sour cream. Definitely the cure for what ailed me.





Roasted Garlic Potato Soup
Serves 3.

4 red potatoes, two peeled, all cubed
Half an onion, chopped horizontally into wedges
One head garlic
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Olive oil
4 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
One dollop sour cream
Salt
Pepper

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Looks great. I have a dutch oven and an immersion blender, so I am ready to make this!

    ReplyDelete