Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Broiled Portobellos with Creamy Scrambled Eggs




I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms--I'll tolerate them in some dishes, but when I can avoid them, I do. Something about their texture really throws me off. But I love portobellos. They're so silky and wonderful.

I had the morning/afternoon off, so I convinced myself that I deserved an elaborate brunch. (The thought process was something like "Man, I wanna cook" and then "Man, I love breakfast foods," and hark! an idea.)

For a side, I picked up some country sausage. I also grabbed asparagus and hollandaise ingredients, but that might have to wait till morning.

First I removed the entire stem from the mushroom. Then I preheated the broiler and lined a baking sheet with foil. I brushed the mushroom with olive oil and then placed it underside-up and added minced garlic, salt, and pepper. I broiled the mushroom for five minutes on one side, then flipped it over and cooked it for another seven.


While the mushroom cooked, I mixed country sausage, thyme, cayenne, sage, allspice, and onion powder. From this mixture, I formed two patties.

Then I whisked together eggs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and diced fresh rosemary. I melted half a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium low, into which I poured the egg mixture.

I took out another skillet and put it over medium heat, spritzing it with some Pam. I added the patties, which needed little attention as I stirred the eggs. Just flip them after four to six minutes and these babies handle themselves. Non-needy foods enable one to have a breather in the middle of hectic breakfast times (Note: Breakfast times are never, ever confined to the morning.)

The eggs were done once they'd set into a loverly-soft-creamy texture. I dotted a little bit of butter on top, then I put the portobello on a plate (gills up), scooped the egg mixture over the mushroom, and sprinkled a little cheese on top.

I placed the sausage on the side, threw in a banana for good measure, and BOOM! Breakfast!

Perhaps next time I should invite other people over...



Broiled Portobello Topped with Creamy Scrambled Eggs (via Bon Appetit)
(I adapted this for one)
1 portobello mushroom
Olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Parmesan
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
Salt
Pepper

Sausage Patties:
1/4 lb country sausage

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

No comments:

Post a Comment