Friday, October 14, 2011

Sautéed Halibut with a Pecan Topping


I don't cook nearly enough fish, so when I saw this recipe in the Gourmet cookbook, I couldn't wait to turn it into a fairly healthy dinner.

First things first, I preheated the oven to 200 degrees. Then I began skinning the halibut, which was a pretty new arena for me. I angled the blade at 45 degrees and used long, clean strokes, cutting 1/4 inch at a time so as not to take off too much of the meat.

Then I dried the fillets and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and paprika. I sautéed them in two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat (with the oil hot, but not smoking). While the fish cooked, I basted it with Lea & Perrins chicken marinade to heighten the flavor. 



After four minutes, I flipped the fillets and added more marinade. I then transferred the fillets to a plate which I then tented with foil and placed in the oven to keep warm.

Before the next step, I reduced the heat under my pan to medium and let it cool slightly, otherwise the sauce would burn. I replenished the pan with a tablespoon of oil and then added chopped green onions and garlic and cooked them for a few minutes until they were fragrant. I then increased the heat to medium-high and added the pecans. I let these cook for a few minutes until they were darkened and also aromatic, after which I  added a bit of butter and stirred it until melted. Finally I took the pan off the heat and sprinkled a little lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.

For a side, we steamed asparagus and then drizzled it with melted butter infused with lemon and garlic. Way too good.

Apologies for the scarcity of pictures! I shut my finger in a corkscrew mid-sauté and got a bit occupied. On a not-entirely-unrelated note, this dish goes well with a nice Pinot Grigio. 

(Adapted from Gourmet. Serves 2.)

Ingredients:
1 lb. halibut, skinned and halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Lea & Perrins chicken marinade
3 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 oz. pecans, chopped
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 bunch asparagus
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced


1 comment:

  1. I guess I didn't realize you could get halibut around here? This sounds good though - maybe it would work well with drum or something?

    ReplyDelete